God Provides!

 



    Operation Christmas Child Shoebox Collection is complete for 2023! This year collection week started off with a bang when I found out the community nearest us (and much larger) had no collection site because of some last minute changes. After heading up the collection center for my county for the 11 years previous, I thought I was well prepared for the week. When our first day collections were way above normal, I knew I had to reevaluate things. At first I felt overwhelmed and the task seemed impossible. I knew I would have to find more workers and set up more trailer deliveries, as well as collect more packing cartons and tape. Thankfully the Holy Spirit nudged and reminded me that this was not my project, but God's and He can and will do all that is necessary to see that His purposes are accomplished. 

    I had friends join me in prayer and posting for help, and God quickly filled in all of the gaps. Some of the large churches took their shoeboxes to another collection center so that we weren't hit as hard as we could have been, another collection center sent their trailer/driver/and loaders midweek so that our remaining trailers were able to handle the rest, and materials were delivered with a local manufacturer even providing extra packing tape (this is the kind you can't find at office supply stores!).

    Why did I doubt? Over and over God has proven that He will provide when I am in His will. Praise Him for His faithfulness even when I doubt. Spend some time taking in the words of Isaiah 55.

Isaiah 55:8-12 ESV  For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. 10 "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, 11 so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. 12 "For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

    I am such a planner/organizer that when things go off track it can through me off, but God regularly reminds me that He is the One who plans my future. All of my planning can be a nice framework, but I have to be ready for Him to step in and show me the real plan. Sometimes it means that all my plans get laid aside, and sometimes it means that He has something bigger than what I tried to do in my own power. I have learned to hold things and plans more loosely. It hurts less when I let Hin gently guide me where I'm meant to be, than when I try to maintain my failing plans.

    The best part about His plan changes is that it shows just how great and amazing He is! John 3:30 "He must increase, but I must decrease." Here's my shout out to our amazing God! These shoeboxes will be sent to the ends of the earth along with the Good News of His great love and salvation through Christ alone. With that the children will receive tangible proof that God sees them and loves them. 

     I have to share one more story. The young girl in the top picture has been attending the Good News after school Bible Club (see my CEF post) since we started it 2 1/2 years ago. In that time she has become a Christian and prayed for her younger brother to become a Christian. He did a few months ago! Last year I showed the club how they could put a box together and explained how the boxes take Jesus to children around the world. This year she decided her American Heritage girls club would collect boxes, and they collected 32! It is so special to see God grow His people. Even young people can do great things for Him!

Our collection center numbers went from 3866 shoeboxes last year (some of those were online boxes) to 5208 this year with our online boxes included!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to Forgive

Bringing Christ to Christmas Gift Giving

Review of The Designated Valentine by Drew Taylor