Missing my Mom this Mother's Day


I rarely get to see my mom on Mother's Day, but I have always been able to speak to her on the phone.  This year will be different, though.  My mom's Alzheimer's has taken so much more away from her over the past year that she would not know who I am on the phone.  In March I helped my dad and brother move her into an Alzheimer's Facility, since her care had become too much for my father.  It's so hard to lose someone you love so slowly, for so long.  

The other night I was thinking about my mom, Mother's Day, and memories with her as a child.  I saw her holding my hand and walking with me as a young girl, and then could no longer hold back the tears.  Words for a poem came to me, so I pulled up the covers (I didn't want to wake Chad) and started typing into my phone.

The hands of a child are so tiny and small,
Needing wisdom and guidance to make sense of it all.

These are my hands now,
Steady and true.
So much of who I am now, 
can be traced back to you.

You taught me and guided me to look to God's Word,
Giving me wings to fly and soar like a bird.

These tears that I cry for the loss of you,
Will be wiped away by He who makes all things new.

One day when we walk down the streets of gold,
You'll remember me and be healed of all things old.

For now, I can hold your hands and look at your face,
And trust God in His wisdom and infinite grace.

To my mother, Sarah Allen
Your daughter, Kim Griffin
In honor of Mother’s Day 2013

And He who sits on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." And He said, "Write, for these words are faithful and true." Then He said to me, "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost. He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.
Revelation 21:5-7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to Forgive

Bringing Christ to Christmas Gift Giving

Review of The Designated Valentine by Drew Taylor